Health insurance premium paid under sec 80 d exemption is inclusive of gst compnent

MANIAN T.V (SENIOR MANAGER(Retd) Nationalised Bank)   (83 Points)

06 December 2018  

For the FY 2017-18 , I have paid a sum of Rs 26,015-00 as Medical Insurance Premium. I am a pensioner & a senior Citizen.

Break up of the Premium paid is as follows: Premium Rs 21920 + GST Rs 3969 + Personal Accident Insurance Premium Rs126. But my employer has taken only Rs 21920 under Sec 80 D for Income Tax calculation purpose( also shown as a deduction under sec 80 D in Form 16).  I feel that I was deprived of the tax exemption fro Rs 3969+ Rs126=Rs 4095.

As per Sec 80 D 2(a) Income Tax Act 1961 is as follows: (a) the whole of the amount paid to effect or to keep in force an insurance on the health of the assessee or his family or any contribution made to the Central Government Health Scheme or such other scheme as may be notified by the Central Government in this behalf or any payment made on account of preventive health check-up of the assessee or his family ----------------- Throughout the Sec 80 D it is very clearly mentioned " the whole of the amount paid to". 

I wish to know " whether the exemption under 80 D is inclusive of GST   OR  my employer is correct to take only the premium component of  whole of the amount paid.( excluding the amount of GST)