Easy Office
Easy Office

Happy birthday genius

Page no : 2

Swapnilsagar R Vithalani (Project Executive) (81 Points)
Replied 24 February 2012

Steve Jobs is remembered as a man of great ideas, a genius; but also as someone who was difficult to deal with. Steve had a reputation of an individual who pushed people very hard, often to the point where they couldn’t take it anymore and broke down.

Not so well known are the little ways in which Steve motivated those around him. Here’s one of my favourite Steve Jobs anecdotes.

This one takes us back to May 1981, the time when the Lisa (precursor to the original Macintosh) was being developed.

Bill Atkinson was back then an engineer at Apple working on Lisa’s GUI. This was a time when computers ran on text-based commands, and graphical elements like button and clickable menus (or the mouse, for that matter) were all but unheard of. So coming up with a program that could draw on screen was a new task, made challenging by limitations of the hardware.

Bill came up with a way to draw circles and ovals on screen. He devised a clever way to workaround the computer’s limitations and draw ovals very quickly. Excited with his accomplishment, he was eager to show it off to Steve Jobs.

Bill fired up his demo and it quickly filled the screen with randomly-sized ovals, faster than you thought was possible. But something was bothering Steve.

“Well, circles and ovals are good, but how about drawing rectangles with rounded corners? Can we do that now, too?”, said Steve.

“No, there’s no way to do that. In fact it would be really hard to do, and I don’t think we really need it”, Bill seemed a little miffed that Steve wasn’t raving over the fast ovals and wanted more still.

Steve suddenly got more intense. “Rectangles with rounded corners are everywhere! Just look around this room!”. And sure enough, there were lots of them, like the whiteboard and some of the desks and tables. Then he pointed out the window. “And look outside, there’s even more, practically everywhere you look!”. He even persuaded Bill to take a quick walk around the block with him, pointing out every rectangle with rounded corners that he could find.

When Steve and Bill passed a no-parking sign with rounded corners, it did the trick. “OK, I give up”, Bill pleaded. “I’ll see if it’s as hard as I thought.” He went back to work.

Bill Atkinson returned the following afternoon, with a big smile on his face. His demo was now drawing rectangles with beautifully rounded corners blisteringly fast, almost at the speed of plain rectangles.

Over the next few months, rounded rectangles worked their way into various parts of the user interface, and soon became indispensable.

1 Like

CA Nikhil Kumar Takkar (Service) (22 Points)
Replied 24 February 2012

Happy Bday Steve....U were and you will remain  a great source of inspiration

chandu (student) (1051 Points)
Replied 24 February 2012

MANT MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY,GR8 MAN

*RENU SINGH * (✩ §m!ℓ!ñġ €ม€§ fℓม!ñġ ђ♪gђ✩ )   (21627 Points)
Replied 24 February 2012

the whole world will miss him for his creativity n innovation .....................

no one can ever forget the revolution made by him .

happy brday steve.

2 Like

*RENU SINGH * (✩ §m!ℓ!ñġ €ม€§ fℓม!ñġ ђ♪gђ✩ )   (21627 Points)
Replied 24 February 2012

swapnil u had  watched discovery show on steve i guess....

that was really wonderful .

so frns ....

if it ever shown repeated on discovery then must watch it. it was really nice

1 Like

CS DEEPA JAIN (COMPANY SECRETARY) (103 Points)
Replied 24 February 2012

Happy Birthday genius Steve... The world miss you..
1 Like

CA Deepesh Ruhela (Keen to Learn) (3271 Points)
Replied 24 February 2012

Happy Birthday genius Steve... 

1 Like

seema sahu (article) (75 Points)
Replied 25 February 2012

Happy Birthday ...........OUR INSPIRATION

1 Like

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)   (114773 Points)
Replied 25 February 2012

Wish a Happy B'day to Steve Jobs....& Thanks to iAryan for this post...

1 Like

(Guest)

A very Happy B'day to the great and immortal steve jobs.............

We miss you..............

the fruit "apple" you gave to this world will always be very special and outstanding.

1 Like

Kashvi (CS) (231 Points)
Replied 25 February 2012

we surely miss the absence of steve jobs...its one genius less on earth...happy bday wereva u are

1 Like

Durga Prasad (Trainee) (392 Points)
Replied 25 February 2012

Happy B'day ...........you are dead but ur thinking and in actual you are been remembered by every one...:-)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: