Guys Plz Suggest......!

CA Mayur Sojrani (CA) (318 Points)

04 January 2011  

I had gone through the FEMA Act to get the solution of the under Case.

"Can a  company which is registered outside India &  having no business activities in India own a Immovable property in India" ?

But i didn't get the clear cut answer of my query.

Going through  FEMA act and the RBI site  it's only mention that.

Can an office of a foreign company purchase immovable property in India?

ANS.. A foreign company which has established a Branch Office or other place of business in India, in accordance with FERA / FEMA regulations, can  acquire any immovable property in India, which is necessary for or incidental to carrying on such activity. The payment for acquiring such a property should be made by way of foreign inward remittance through proper banking channel. A declaration in form IPI should be filed with Reserve Bank within ninety days from the date of acquiring the property. Such a property can also be mortgaged with an Authorised Dealer as a security for other borrowings. On winding up of the business, the sale proceeds of such property can be repatriated only with the prior approval of Reserve Bank. Further, acquisition of immovable property by entities who had set up Branch Offices in India and incorporated in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, China, Iran, Nepal and Bhutan would require prior approval of Reserve Bank to acquire such immovable property. However, if the foreign company has  established a Liaison Office, it can not acquire immovable property . In such cases, Liaison Offices, can take property by way of lease not exceeding 5 years.

WHAT ABOUT IF A FORIEGN COMAPNY HAVING NO BUSINESS IN INDIA

CAN HE OWN A IMMOVABLE PROPERTY IN INDIA ?