GST Implications For Digital course on Marketplace

V j (0 Points)

31 December 2021  

Hi Everyone,

The below questions are from my friend, Please provide guidance :

We have been selling our digital courses on Udemy (We are based out of India). Udemy pays us every month in Dollars ( which we get through remittance (Payoneer/Paypal) in our Indian account), Udemy sells the course across the world and as per the local laws collects the taxes. It takes GST (18%) from India-based students.

My questions are:

- Do I need to register for GST? I sell the course in my individual capacity.

- Udemy withhold some tax components from our income for some of the students (US based) and pays the rest, I was under the assumption that as we are dealing with US entity we don't have to have GST number, but in 26AS we saw that there are 1% TDS  for the amount which we are earning through our Indian student. So it seems like even Udemy India is involved and is deducting the tax, is my assumption correct? Doesn't it make us liable to pay GST?

- Also, we reached out to Udemy support to get the GST details which they are collecting from Indian students for our course but they just have email support, and doesn't look like they will provide the documents (Although they have provided the US-based tax docs, about withholding the tax, etc.)

So can you guide me how can I navigate through this? shall I take GST number and pay the 18% tax? ( which is effectively doubling of tax). Please advice.