Going for an interview...???

Aashi Jain (CA) (147 Points)

10 July 2012  

Going for an interview…???

Here are few tricky questions that you may face !!

Based on what you know about us, what could we be doing more efficiently?

Play safe while answering it. One could say it's not possible to say much as an outsider and what he knows is public knowledge. Another way would be to talk about new ideas that the company could look at and how the candidate can help implement them.

Did you think of leaving your current position earlier?

If so, what has made you stay till now?

An impressive answer here would be: "I'm not actively looking out but, am open to exploratory conversations on opportunities which can help me grow my career." There are many who are quite direct as well, saying that they don't get along with their line manager/boss.

How would you evaluate your present company?

Here, Candidates should not complain about their current company. Rather, "Focus on your strengths and weaknesses,". You could talk about why it is not working out for you, and why you are looking to move on.

What can you do to take your boss's job?

Managers rarely get a good answer to this one. One that would score with them would be something like "to get a job at the next level (consciously avoiding using the phrase 'boss' job' ), I'd consistently outshine in my current role while continuing to build my skill sets.":

Few say "I think I'm better" . Then the Question may follow: Then, why haven't they taken you for the next level yet?"

If God was outside the interview room, what are the three wishes you would ask from him?

"There are some people who come up with selfish responses that only concern them; others have larger goals like doing something for others. They try to evaluate the responses to gauge a candidate's philosophy in life and to see if it matches with that of the company".

Rate yourself on a scale of 1-10.

A majority of candidates tend to go with a safe answer, rating themselves typically between 6 and 8. Some, who are in frontline sales etc, rate themselves higher at 9-10 . Their explanation is they have been at the top of their team and have consistently been overachieving. "To them, the question may follow: In order for you to go to the next level, what are the areas you need to develop?"

No doubt there is a lot of competition in Job Market.  It’s wise to do some Home Work before facing the Interview. Keeping above things in Mind will surely make you more alert and your Performance  in the Interview would get much much better...

Best Regards:

Aashi