Employer Contribution-PF(New Pension Scheme)

CA.Anuj kumar sharma (Service in Public Ltd. Co.)   (99 Points)

27 February 2010  

Dear All,

My client is Central Government employee, he is getting PF contribution under New Pension Scheme(NPS) from employer side.

His employer is making taxable income in the following way, suppose his salary break up is here under:

Basic Salary: 10000

HRA: 4000

Gross Salary: 14000

Employer Contribution: 2000

Taxable salary they are considering is 16000p.m and giving deduction under 80CCD of Rs4000(2000 for employee contribution and 2000 for employer contribution). Due to the Government contribution, i.e 2000 the limit under section 80C is exhausted by 2000.

In my  view the employer contribution should not be included in the Total taxable income and only employee contribution should be allowed as deduction under section 80CCD.

In short, we should not include employer contribution as income of employee and should not take deduction of the same further. The benefit of taking this is that he client can have more savings as investments under section 80C as they are not blocked due to employer contribution.

Requesting you to refer any Section, Notification issued in this regard by Income Tax.

Do the needful ASAP.

Regards,

CA. Anuj Kumar Sharma.