Depreciation Query!!

Simardeep Singh (Articled Assistant & CA Final (New) Student)   (99 Points)

30 June 2009  

Dear All,
  I am Simardeep Singh from Amritsar (Punjab) and I am currently into CA Final (New) Course.

I have a confusion in my mind regarding sale of assets acquired and sold in the same year and which have been used for less than 180 days. What is the proper treatment to be done for the calculation of the depreciation?

I suppose putting the query into practical example will help me make it understand better. Say, there are 3 assets in a block of assets ABC (Machinery - 60%) with opening WDV Rs. 400000. An asset D was purchased and put to use on 29.10.2008 costing Rs. 200000. The asset D was then sold on 31.01.2009 for Rs. 100000. Kindly clarify the depreciation calculation to me.

Most of the persons whom I ask this query of mine say that the depreciation will be calculated at the normal rate as the asset acquired & put to use ofr less than 180 days does not exist at the Balance Sheet date. However, I slightly differ from this view point. As per the Second Proviso of Section 32 of the Income Tax Act, 1961, any asset acquired & put to use during the previous year for less than 180 days, depreciation shall be restricted to 50% of the prescribed percentage. As the asset D has been used for less than 180 days,depreciation should be calculated at 50% of the said amount. I am of the viewpoint that once the asset enters the block,it loses its individual identity. I suppose it is for the same purpose, Section 50 directs to calculate STCG/STCL only on the cessation of the block or when the sales consideration exceeds the WDV of the block. Kindly correct me if I am wrong anywhere.