Deduction of TDS despite Form 15H

Jagdish chandra kukrety (Pensioner) (33 Points)

17 January 2022  

I am a senior citizen, aged 77 years and had invested Rs.5,00,000/-each twice in SCSScheme in the Post Office on which I was getting quarterly interest of Rs.10,375/- & Rs.10,750/- respectively. As my total income is less than Rs.2,50,000/- I used to submit Form 15H every year in April. This year due to pandemic I could not submit it in time & submitted it on 13/11/2021 after two quarters had passed. While there was no deduction in the quarter ending June,'21 the Post Office deducted Rs.6,300/- & Rs.2,150/-  respectively from the above deposits totaling Rs.8,150/- in the quarter ending September. This is 10% of the total interest due on these deposits for the whole year ( Rs.81,500/-). When I inquired from the Post Office as to why TDS for the whole year was deducted in one go instead of quarterly basis they  gave me the TDS certificate to claim it either from the Income tax Deptt. or get orders from the Income tax Deptt for them to refund it to me.

My question is whether I shall have to write a letter explaining the matter to the ITO enclosing the TDS certificate from the Post Office or shall I have to file ITR on due date for claiming this refund.

Jagdish Chandra Kukrety