Easy Office
Easy Office

Dear Frnds - Discussion on AS 30/31/32

Page no : 2

Rajalakshmi (Student) (437 Points)
Replied 04 May 2009

1st day  dicussion is really gud yar. Sir clearly explained all concepts. Its really useful. Tanx a lot yar.

Seetha (B.Com, CA) (278 Points)
Replied 05 May 2009

thanks vidya

CMA KNVV Sri Vidya - Sri Kanth (C.A.Final (New) ICWAI FINAL (New))   (11269 Points)
Replied 05 May 2009

Dear frnds 

TO day we are havin discussion at same time i.e. (  5  -   5   -   20009 )

CMA KNVV Sri Vidya - Sri Kanth (C.A.Final (New) ICWAI FINAL (New))   (11269 Points)
Replied 05 May 2009

Accounting Standard 30 deals with the Measurement and recognition of the

Financial Instruments .

This is an important subject in today's scenario where predominant markets have collapsed and many companies are down the drain

without the adequate provisioning .
So what does this AS talk about

It covers all the financial instruments in the balance sheet and also some non financial assets/liabilities like the Loans/Receivables and sets up guidelines for valuation and accounting.

The framework of AS has been predominantly copied from IAS 39 under IFRS and considering the convergence from 2011 to IFRS this is a very important standard

Now coming to the Background

It has been years since Shares/Derivatives etc have reached the common man and the impact of these instruments are still very high in the society at large infact until recession.

When the markets were in huge upturn many people joined the markets leaving out other money making games like Horse races etc Thus there was a growth and simultaneously new conceots getting introduced. The stakes became bigger imagine a person dealing on a Bundle which can include a thousand shares per bundle and the prices are speculated and agreed at a specific price and for delivery at a specific date so how are we accountants to estimate the losses it was really a great challenge and in the process we lost many control issues

the failures have resulted in the great recession now you will all know the sub prime crisis where the House Loans of the not so credit worthy people were divided into pieces by investment banks and were sold a with an attractive name as a hedging instrument  having a return  these were called the CDO's Collateralized Debt Obligations.

These were potential bomb shells but no one realised and had put the money now when the time came to collect the principal loan from Borrower all lifted their hands and banks landed into trouble. Entire Lehman brothers were wiped off .

An investment banker with a Merchant came to street so pretty dore consequences hence the focus is now bigger and stronger on this AS

nishant market was good , everybody was investing his money more money more return more growth ????

but nobody examined, the worth of the instrument, nobody knew ,that they were indirectly financing the Bank loan Housing loan

nishant u mean to say ... no body was recognsin the loss

Yes

thats where the FAIR VALUE concept is important and is discussed in AS

nishant bt that comes to our basis A/cting standard to recongnise loss

but there are no guideline so far

for Hedeg accounting

and other complex instruments

where the nature changes every day

nishant  but one should recognise loss as per AS 1

How will you know the Loss in case of a CDO .you will never know it is a chain of so many people after you ,who have to pay First the Borrower ,then the Prime lender then the Investment bank then some more agents then the final investor .

Now how do u expect an investor to calculate this risk thats the whole point and a great challenge for accountants

Now i will start with the Segments of the AS and applicability

This AS has been made applicable from 1.4.2011 and is applicable for select entities

initially as usual

you may read the exact contents in AS in any case we are under purview of IFRS

and we will be required to comply with this

Now the segments of AS

Whether u have read or not its a 241 page standard thats the biggest in ALL AS we have so far

It has following segments

Definitions

Fair Value Concept ,Valuation Criteria for Financial Assets and Financial Liabilities

Initial Recognition and subsequent recognition

Issues of classification and reclassififcation

Impairment

Hedge Accounting

Various illustrations and the accoutning criteria

Since it is a vast standard and has many practical aspects

we must understand the definitions clearly

and do some study on these difinitons

I will be giving you some sites

and you must read the concepts

Now coming to the Definitions

first and foremost of the Fair Value

Fair Value means the amount for which an asset could be exchanged or liability settled between knowledgeable parties and willing parties in an Arms length transaction

now the important points are

Consideration
     Knowledgable Parties
     Intention of Parties

and the Arms length transaction

The value should represent the above criterias  and should satisfy the Arms length basis

lets try for an example here

When a person sells product A at Rs 10 to a known buyer and then a person sells the same product to other buyer at 12 now here if we examine

the cosideration is there ,Willingness is there but the Knowledge and Arms length pricing is missing

In that case the Fair value has to be taken at Rs.12 considering the bias in first case but we have to assume that the second buyer has market knowledge

Thus we establish a fair value i have taken a very small example

however it is complex in the markets

Now moving on to derivatives

Derivative as you know is a Financial Instrument the value of which changes

or depends on an underlying factor

this can be interest Rate

Commodity price
     Exchange rate

Credit rating

etc and is settled at a specific future date .

Derivatives have ruled the markets since its inception as the stakes are higher and also there is an option for players in the market to take their chances

Now the best example of Derivative is a Forward Contract and options

as we all know a Forward Contract is entered into for the sale of currencies/ bullions/ commodities at a specified future date at an agreed price

Now the value of the forward contract is not known at the present date as the exchange rates not predictable and the underlying value depend on the fluctuations if the rate is higher then there is a loss for the exporter and vice versa

Options is an very interesting subject and is vast too as some of you may know Option is derivative with the flavour of delight on both parties that is the issuer and the purchaser.

An option is a contract to buy or sell a specific financial product officially known as the option's underlying instrument or underlying interest. For equity options, the underlying instrument is a stock, exchange-traded fund (ETF), or similar product. T

This is the official definition it means that there is a contract for buying or selling an underlying asset or the interest with the option.

The contract itself is very precise. It establishes a specific price, called the strike price, at which the contract may be exercised, or acted on. And it has an expiration date. When an option expires, it no longer has value and no longer exists.

Options come in two varieties, calls and puts, and you can buy or sell either type. You make those choices - whether to buy or sell and whether to choose a call or a put - based on what you want to achieve as an options investor.

Now the Option has three elements

strike price
      Expiration date
      and the variety

Strike price is the price at which contract is negotiated

Now i will take an example

Person A and person B enter into the options contract A agrees to buy shares of XYZ co at a price of Rs.240/- per share after one month let the date be 4th of June now here in the example

Strike price is Rs.240/-
      Expiration Date is 4th june
      and the parties are called
      Mr.A is a Holder of the option

and Mr.B is the Writer of the option

Now how to know whether it is a call or put option

This is a call option as this is a contract for buying and of the contract is for selling it is a Put option

In the same example if A agrees to sell the shares at Rs.240/- at the agreed date       then it becomes a put option

Now comes the question of premium

For the writer of the option an amount is paid as premium for taking this risk
      it is the income of the writer

now lets see the same example

suppose the premium is Rs.10  Now if the Share market goes up  and the price of the above share become Rs.265

Now A has an option to buy an Rs 240
      so he gains Rs.25/-
      that is 265 - 240
      and his cost will be\
      the premium
      of Rs.10
      so his net gain is Rs.15

Thsi position is called "in the money"

Now comes the question of premium
      For the writer of the option
      an amount is paid as premium
      for taking this risk
      it is the income of the writer
      now lets see the same example
      suppose the premium is Rs.10
      Now if the Share market goes up

and the price of the above share become Rs.265

Now A has an option to buy an Rs 240
      so he gains Rs.25/-
      that is 265 - 240
      and his cost will be\
      the premium
      of Rs.10
      so his net gain is Rs.15

Thsi position is called "in the money"

Now imagine if the share price remains the same

say 240
      now he will hav to buy at 240
      and still hav cost of Rs.10
      for premium
      thsi situation means
      |Out of the Money"
      And nobody
      will excercise
      the option
      when they are out of the money
      now this is the whole concept
      now read this

What a particular options contract is worth to a buyer or seller is measured by how likely it is to meet their expectations. In the language of options, that's determined by whether or not the option is, or is likely to be, in-the-money or out-of-the-money at expiration. A call option is in-the-money if the current market value of the underlying stock is above the exercise price of the option, and out-of-the-money if the stock is below the exercise price. A put option is in-the-money if the current market value of the underlying stock is below the exercise price and out-of-the-money if it is above it. If an option is not in-the-money at expiration, the option is assumed to be worthless.

now let me make it clear again
      when a person gets the option
      what is his aim
      his aim is to protect the future risk
      if i want to buy
      L&T share  at Rs.240 say and I expect that  the price will go up to 260 next month
      I can cover this by taking an option but for this i pay the premium to the writer
      say this is Rs.10

now suppose as per my expectation market goes to 260/-

he is the one who gives you options

then my net gain is Rs.20 minus Rs.10 so we are in the money

if there is a situation where the price is Rs.250 or less

on the expiration date then there is no use in excersing the options Hence i will not buy the shares in that case i am out of the money and i take advantage of the contract

www.investorguide,com

https://www.optionseducation.org/basics/whatis/default.jsp

www.businessdictionery.com

Now read the terms from here from here and also the AS to the extent possible

try www.investorwords.com also

aarey i hve a powerfull Tag prefixxed to my name na ., as C.A

in dat select Equity / debt
again select Settlement and Clearing
then select Derivatives

then select "Settlement Mechanism" to knw how the principles we learn in MAFA are practically implemented

CA CS CMA Srinivasan N (ACA, ACS, CWA Inter) (1172 Points)
Replied 05 May 2009

Friends,

The above extract has been taken from the yesterday's discussion for those who could not participate. This will help new students/members to join the continuation today.

I hope i could make the concept clear. I need your feedback to improve the session. Kidnly keep me posted at srini.ca @ gmail.com

Thanks

k n v v s k sri kanth ( ) (564 Points)
Replied 05 May 2009

yeh thnx. vidya...!!!

CA Anand Shukla (CA) (33 Points)
Replied 05 May 2009

Its really a innovative and creative thing.... thanks for sharing...

Late CA Sampat Jain (Chartered Accountant) (4772 Points)
Replied 06 May 2009

A GREAT WORK DONE BY CA SRINIVASAN N.   THANK YOU FOR SHARING KNOWLEDGE A

Replied 06 May 2009

we discussed the background behind AS 30  and the collapse of corporate giants  due to various financial instruments and the agreed AS30 tries to bring in the Fair Value concept for the recognition of Financial instruments and covers maximum assets and liabilities  in the Balance sheet  hence all the corporates are going to be affected with this standard including banks 

The new standard is applicable from 1.4.2011  for few companies  and then as usual will be extended  for those who are unaware it is predominantly a copy of IAS 39  and hence will be the same once we converge to IFRS

We then discussed the definitions  mainly of Derivatives

Nature of forward contracts and then Options

Now today we will go further deep into the standard

My agenda for today will be

Definitions of Financial Instruments
  Financial Assets
  Financial liabilities  and equity instruments

Then we will discuss the  initial recognition criteria and Subsequent recognition criteria

We will discuss one illustration  on amortized cost concept  and we will close

Now first the definition of Financial Instruments:

Financial Instrument is any contract  that gives rise to a financial asset of one entity  and a financial liability or equity instrument of another entity

Here the definition is inclusive  which covers all the instruments having two effects, it will thus cover both sides of the transaction  an option Holder  as well as Option writer

For example now the next one is financial asset

A financial asset is any asset that is:

(a) cash;

(b) an equity instrument of another entity;

(c) a contractual right:

(i) to receive cash or another financial asset from another entity; or

(ii) to exchange financial assets or financial liabilities with another entity under conditions that are potentially favorable to the entity; or

(d) a contract that will or may be settled in the entity’s own equity instruments and is:

(i) a non-derivative for which the entity is or may be obliged to receive a variable number of the entity’s own equity instruments; or

(ii) A derivative that will or may be settled other than by the exchange of a fixed amount of cash or another financial asset for a fixed number of the entity’s own equity instruments. For this purpose the entity’s own equity instruments do not include instruments that are themselves contracts for the future receipt or delivery of the entity’s own equity instruments. Page10

Please read the above

This is again an inclusive definition  and has many elements

(a) cash;

The first one is CASH which all of you are aware

can anyone argue why Cash is a financial asset  Ultimately it is the final money value

nishant Capabable to generate cash and its equivalent independently

Yes but CASH itself is cash

Let me explain in AS language

Currency (cash) is a financial asset because it represents the medium of exchange and is therefore the basis on which all transactions are measured and recognized in financial statements. A deposit of cash with a bank or similar financial institution is a financial asset because it represents the contractual right of the depositor to obtain cash from the institution or to draw a cheque or similar instrument against the balance in favour of a creditor in payment of a financial liability.

AS is very clear on this and the purpose is also well stated

Now going to the next item

(b) An equity instrument of another entity;

Hope this is very simple

Its the investment in equity of other entity thats also covered here

Examples of equity instruments include non-puttable equity shares,

some types of preference shares (see paragraphs 38 and 39) and warrants or written call options that allow the holder to subscribe for or purchase a fixed number of non-puttable equity shares in the issuing entity in exchange for a fixed amount of cash or another financial asset.

this is from AS

Moving to the next one

its very important element

(c) a contractual right:

(i) to receive cash or another financial asset from another entity; or

(ii) to exchange financial assets or financial liabilities with another entity under conditions that are potentially favourable to the entity

can you ppl think of one common example here of this element

Common examples of financial assets representing a contractual right to receive cash in the future and corresponding financial liabilities representing a contractual obligation to deliver cash in the future are:

(a) trade accounts receivable and payable;

(b) bills receivable and payable;

(c) loans receivable and payable;

(d) bonds receivable and payable; and

(e) deposits and advances. In each case, one party’s contractual right to receive (or obligation to pay) cash is matched by the other party’s corresponding obligation to pay (or right to receive).

nishant what is diff between financial asset and f. instrument

Financial instrument is a Contract  like options ,derivatives

Financial assets are non derivatives in general

nishant what is non-puttable equity shares

even i am little unclear on that word  it denotes irredemable  i guess

ravi demblani financial asset n financial instrument r same??

ravi demblani sir, i m unlcear on financial asset?

no

Puttable" denotes an embedded put option; "Puttable" denotes that it may be putted.

so it means  there will not be any Put option right  which again explains the non derivative characteristic

Ravi The main difference is that Financial Instrument is a contract of a derivative nature

Nishant do u meant that puttable u cannot offer to sale .. is that ?

no i mean an option to sale Suppose i hold Shares of Company A and they are puttable it will mean that they are derivatives and the provisions to recognize will change.

Nishant Financial Instrument is a legal agreement involving some sort of monetary value

monetary value will be there

nishant and f. asset is non-physical asset, such as a security, certificate, or bank balance. Opposite of non-financial asset.

The definition of a financial instrument also encompasses a contract that gives rise to a non-financial asset or non-financial liability in addition to a financial asset or financial liability

For example, an oil-linked bond may give the holder the right to receive a stream of fixed periodic interest payments and a fixed amount of cash on maturity, with the option to exchange the principal amount for a fixed quantity of oil

cash is f. asset
 and chq is f. instr

i was elaboating on the third part

where there is a contractual right these will include

Common examples of financial assets representing a contractual right to receive cash in the future and corresponding financial liabilities representing a contractual obligation to deliver cash in the future are:

(a) trade accounts receivable and payable;

(b) bills receivable and payable;

(c) loans receivable and payable;

(d) bonds receivable and payable; and

(e) deposits and advances. In each case, one party’s contractual right to receive (or obligation to pay) cash is matched by the other party’s corresponding obligation to pay (or right to receive).

nishant in easy words can we say its just a inter a/c adjustments . which are real .. and can be done

nishant provided thy are not fictitious
  yes but this will be too general
  Now think about promissory notes  will it be financial asset

now see this

For example, a promissory note payable in government bonds gives the holder the contractual right to receive and the issuer the contractual obligation to deliver government bonds, not cash. The bonds are financial assets because they represent obligations of the issuing government to pay cash  and

The promissory note is, therefore, a financial asset of the promissory note holder and a financial liability of the promissory note issuer.

so this covers the 2nd clause of Clause C above

contractual right to exchange financial asset or liability other than cash

Now the last point where the Financial assets of the nature of Contract which get settled into the equity instruments this will include redeemable pref shares

nishant sir can u gv an example for " contractual right to exchange financial asset or liability other than cash"

we discussed that promissory note remember

nishant ya ...

the one where bind was consderation Bond

nishant but the word other than cash is like .. exhaustive area

thats the good example of these rights absolutely

but this standard wants to arrest all the items where risk is high

nishant what is the ultimate aim for all this??

Ultimate AIM  is to protect the Financials but will always take a long time to implement

One important thing i forgot I request all to read an article on Fair Value in April 2009 journal

nishant ok like there is a recievable in my a/c for Mr. x

nishant also Mr. x has payable in his a/c in my name

my next session focus will be on that

nishant ssoo we can inter adjust as per what u said

yes
  but that has to inbuilt in the right

nishant "inbuilt " can u go in deep a bit  

or else i will ss
  scan
  and send
 nishant oohh if u hav pls send

That is it should be mentioned in the sale agreement

nishant also send me the link so that i can take on my own now onwards

to adjust

nishant I mean .. if we are in to diff sale .. y we should consider that balaces

Correct but there should be mutual agreement  at the inception or else how will you value it at the accounting period in general there is no issue in this and it may not be a good example of the second part as it is an eventuality for you to adjust to avoid some hassles

nishant no y i am saying this .. How will u trace. a person performing all this

it is not a right by itself  See the AS says that there are 2 types

one is where settlement is in Cash

and second where it is not in Cash

So your example is an eventual understanding between the parties

it was not you rplan to adjust in the inception

so it doesnt fit into the second category thats my view

nishant Y sir .. If I already have in, my debtors as Mr. X say rs 1000.. And I am again purchasin some materils from him Y sholud I pay to him ...

But you agreed for sale to X for Cash

nishant I willl adjust that na

right so it was in the first category

nishant ya .. I wll show as sale .. but will not gv in cash na

u r right but the classification is not that way

nishant i will deduct the balance from mr .x like 1000-200 now 800

It depends on your contract
  thats an adjustment
  its a mutual understanding
  forget about the net impact

What if the other person disagrees

nishant so as per this AS how will u preset tis

and also think of due date issue
  the due dates for both should be same right

nishant No .. I just want .. how will u present this as per AS

we have to take the first one as fInancial asset

nishant the above kind of transcation which normally happens .. everywhere

nishant the above kind of transcation which normally happens .. everywhere

and the second one as  financial liability

we cant adjust without a contractual right

Nishant : so u will say .. that 1000 is my f.liablity say creditors

yes
 we will discuss FL in next session

nishant sorry it will be 200 na

Replied 06 May 2009

this is second day's discussion 

for the frnds who missed the discussion

CA Sudhir Halakhandi (PRACTICING CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT)   (13401 Points)
Replied 07 May 2009

GOOD MOVE !!!! CONGRATS AND THANKS!!!

Replied 07 May 2009

thanks sudhir sir 

Replied 07 May 2009

Check the attached file of Advance Ruling in Question-Answer Format for CA Final.

Go through this address

https://www.caclubindia.com/forum/message_display.asp?group_id=32709

Replied 07 May 2009

Replied 07 May 2009

Dear frnds find the attachment for latest amendments by srbhi bansal 

Go through this address

https://www.caclubindia.com/forum/message_display.asp?group_id=32591

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro