SSG (1936 Points)

26 February 2010  

Budget 2010-2011

Speech of

Pranab Mukherjee

Minister of Finance

February 26, 2010

Madam Speaker, 

I rise to present the Union Budget for 2010-11.

In 2009, when I presented the interim Budget in February and the regular Budget in July in this august House, the Indian economy was facing grave uncertainties. Growth had started decelerating and the business sentiment was weak. The economy's capacity to sustain high growth was under serious threat from the widespread economic slowdown in the developed world. 

2. It was not clear to us, as also to the policy makers in many other countries, how this crisis would eventually unfold. What would be its impact on the growth momentum of the Indian economy? How soon will we be able to turnaround the fortunes of our economy? The short term global outlook was bleak and the consensus was that year 2009 would face the brunt of this crisis across the world.

3. At home, there was added uncertainty on account of the delayed and sub-normal south-west monsoon, which had undermined the kharif crop in the country. There were concerns about production and prices of food items and its possible repercussions on the growth of rural demand.

4. Today, as I stand before you, I can say with confidence that we have weathered these crises well. Indian economy now is in a far better position than it was a year ago. That is not to say that the challenges today are any less than what they were nine months ago when UPA under the leadership of Mrs Sonia Gandhi was elected back to power and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh formed the Government for the second term. 

5. The three challenges and the medium term perspective that I had outlined in my last Budget Speech remain relevant, even today. These would continue to engage the Indian policy-planners for the next few years. 

6. The first challenge before us is to quickly revert to the high GDP growth path of 9 per cent and then find the means to cross the 'double digit growth barrier'. This calls for imparting a fresh momentum to the impressive recovery in growth witnessed in the past few months. In this endeavour, I seek Lord Indra's help to make the recovery more broad-based in the coming months. 

7. Growth is only as important as what it enables us to do and be. Therefore, the second challenge is to harness economic growth to consolidate the recent gains in making development more inclusive. The thrust imparted to the development of infrastructure in rural areas has to be pursued to achieve the desired objectives within a fixed time frame. 

8. We have to strengthen food security, improve education opportunities and provide health facilities at the level of households, both in rural and urban areas. These are issues that require significant resources, and we have to find those resources. 

9. The third challenge relates to the weaknesses in government systems, structures and institutions at different levels of governance. Indeed, in the coming years, if there is one factor that can hold us back in realising our potential as a modern nation, it is the bottleneck of our public delivery mechanisms. There have been many initiatives in this regard, in different sectors, at different points of time. Some of them have been effective in reforming the way the Government works in those areas. But we have a long way to go before we can rest on this count. 

10. The Union Budget cannot be a mere statement of Government accounts. It has to reflect the Government's vision and signal the policies to come in future. 

11. With development and economic reforms, the focus of economic activity has shifted towards the non-governmental actors, bringing into sharper focus the role of Government as an enabler.

12. An enabling Government does not try to deliver directly to the citizens everything that they need. Instead it creates an enabling ethos so that individual enterprise and creativity can flourish. Government concentrates on supporting and delivering services to the disadvantaged sections of the society.

13. It is this broad conceptualisation of the Budget that informs my speech today. I would now begin by presenting a brief overview of the economy.

Overview of the Economy

14. Yesterday, I laid on the table of the House the Economic Survey, which gives a detailed analysis of the economic situation of the country over the past twelve months. I intend to highlight only a few salient features that form the backdrop of this Budget. 

15. The fiscal year 2009-10 was a challenging year for the Indian economy. The significant deceleration in the second half of 2008-09, brought the real GDP growth down to 6.7 per cent, from an average of over 9 per cent in the preceding three years. We were among the first few countries in the world to implement a broad-based counter-cyclic policy package to respond to the negative fallout of the global slowdown. It included a substantial fiscal expansion along with liberal monetary policy support. 

16. The effectiveness of these policy measures became evident with fast paced recovery. The economy stabilised in the first quarter of 2009-10 itself, when it clocked a GDP growth of 6.1 per cent, as against 5.8 per cent in the fourth quarter of the preceding year. It registered a strong rebound in the second quarter, when the growth rate rose to 7.9 per cent. With the Advance Estimates placing the likely growth for 2009-10 at 7.2 per cent, we are indeed vindicated in our policy stand. The final figure may well turn out to be higher when the third and fourth quarter GDP estimates for 2009-10 become available. 

17. This recovery is very encouraging for it has come about despite a negative growth in the agriculture sector. More importantly, it is the result of a renewed momentum in the manufacturing sector and marks the rise of this sector as the growth driver of the economy. The growth rate in manufacturing in December 2009 was 18.5 per cent— the highest in the past two decades. There are also signs of a turnaround in the merchandise exports with a positive growth in November and December 2009 after a decline of about twelve successive months. Export figures for January are also encouraging. Significant private investment can now be expected to provide the engine for sustaining a growth of 9 per cent per annum. With some luck, I hope to breach the 10 per cent mark in not-too-distant a future. 

18. A major concern during the second half of 2009-10 has been the emergence of double digit food inflation. There was a momentum in food prices since the flare-up of global commodity prices preceding the financial crisis in 2008, but it was expected that the agriculture season beginning June 2009 would help in moderating the food inflation. However, the erratic monsoons and drought like conditions in large parts of the country reinforced the supply side bottlenecks in some of the essential commodities. This set in motion inflationary expectations. Since December 2009, there have been indications of these high food prices, together with the gradual hardening of the fuel product prices, getting transmitted to other non-food items as well. The inflation data for January seems to have confirmed this trend.

19. Government is acutely conscious of this situation and has set in motion steps, in consultation with the State chief ministers, which should bring down the inflation in the next few months and ensure that there is better management of food security in the country. 

CONSOLIDATING GROWTH

20. Managing a complex economy is a difficult task, more so when it is a growing economy in a globalised world. And yet, choices have to be made and they have to be well-timed. 

21. After successfully managing the effects of the global slowdown, we need to strengthen the domestic macroeconomic environment to help consolidate the rebound in growth and sustain it over the medium term. We need to review the stimulus imparted to the economy and move towards the preferred path of fiscal consolidation that facilitated the remarkable growth in the pre-crisis five year period. We need to make growth more broad-based and ensure that supply-demand imbalances are better managed. 

Fiscal Consolidation

22. The success of the fiscal stimulus in supporting domestic demand could be traced to its composition. The approach of the Government was to increase the disposable income in the hands of the people by effecting reductions in indirect taxes and by expanding public expenditure on programmes like the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme and rural infrastructure. Now that the recovery has taken root, there is a need to review public spending, mobilise resources and gear them towards building the productivity of the economy. 

23. In shaping the fiscal policy for 2010-11, I have acted on the recommendations of the Thirteenth Finance Commission. It has recommended a calibrated exit strategy from the expansionary fiscal stance of last two years. The Commission has recommended a capping of the combined debt of the Centre and the States at 68 per cent of the GDP to be achieved by 2014-15. 

24. As a part of the fiscal consolidation process, it would be for the first time that the Government would target an explicit reduction in its domestic public debt-GDP ratio. I intend to bring out, within six months, a status paper giving a detailed analysis of the situation and a road map for curtailing the overall public debt. This would be followed by an annual report on the subject.

Tax reforms

25. I am happy to inform the Honourable Members that the process for building a simple tax system with minimum exemptions and low rates designed to promote voluntary compliance, is now nearing completion. On the Direct Tax Code the wide-ranging discussions with stakeholders have been concluded. I am confident that the Government will be in a position to implement the Direct Tax Code from April 1, 2011.

26. On Goods and Services Tax, we have been focusing on generating a wide consensus on its design. In November, 2009 the Empowered Committee of the State Finance Ministers placed the first discussion paper on GST in the public domain. The Thirteenth Finance Commission has also made a number of significant recommendations relating to GST, which will contribute to the ongoing discussions. We are actively engaged with the Empowered Committee to finalise the structure of GST as well as the modalities of its expeditious implementation. It will be my earnest endeavour to introduce GST along with the DTC in April, 2011.

People's ownership of PSUs

27. While presenting the Budget for 2009-10, I invited people to participate in Government's disinvestment programme to share in the wealth and prosperity of the Central Public Sector Undertakings. 

28. Since then, ownership has been broad based in Oil India Limited, NHPC, NTPC and Rural Electrification Corporation while the process is on for National Mineral Development Corporation and Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam. The Government will raise about Rs.25,000 crore during the current year. Through this process, I propose to raise a higher amount during the year 2010-11. The proceeds will be utilised to meet the capital expenditure requirements of social sector schemes for creating new assets.

29. Listing of Central Public Sector Undertakings improves corporate governance, besides unlocking the value for all stakeholders—the government, the company and the shareholders. Market capitalization of five companies which have been listed since October, 2004 has increased by 3.8 times from the book value of Rs.78,841 crore to Rs.2,98,929 crore. 

30. The effective management of public expenditure by bringing it in line with the Government's objectives is a part of the fiscal consolidation process. This calls for proper targeting of subsidies and expenditure adjustment. 

Fertiliser subsidy 

31. I had announced the intent of the Government for the fertiliser sector in my Budget Speech of 2009. A Nutrient Based Subsidy policy for the fertiliser sector has since been approved by the Government and will become effective from April 1, 2010. This policy is expected to promote balanced fertilization through new fortified products and focus on extension services by the fertiliser industry. This will lead to an increase in agricultural productivity and consequently better returns for the farmers. Over time, the policy is expected to reduce volatility in the demand for fertiliser subsidy in addition to containing the subsidy bill. Government will ensure that nutrient based fertiliser prices for transition year 2010-11, will remain around MRPs currently prevailing. The new system will move towards direct transfer of subsidies to the farmers. 

Petroleum and Diesel pricing policy

32. In the last Budget, the constitution of an Expert Group, to advise the Government on a viable and sustainable system of pricing of petroleum products, was announced. The Group headed by Shri Kirit Parikh has submitted its recommendations to the Government. Decision on these recommendations will be taken by my colleague, the Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, in due course.

33. I am very happy to inform the Honourable Members that we have not only adhered to the fiscal roadmap that I had presented as a part of the Budget documents last year, but we have improved upon it. Except for meeting the liabilities of the year 2008-09, we have not issued oil or fertiliser bonds. I shall come to the numbers when I refer to the budget estimates a little later.

Improving Investment Environment

Foreign Direct Investment

34. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows during the year have been steady in spite of the decline in global capital flows. India received FDI equity inflows of US$ 20.9 billion during April-December, 2009 compared to US$ 21.1 billion during the same period last year.

35. Government has taken a number of steps to simplify the FDI regime to make it easily comprehensible to foreign investors. For the first time, both ownership and control have been recognised as central to the FDI policy, and methodology for calculation of indirect foreign investment in Indian companies has been clearly defined. A consistent policy on downstream investment has also been formulated. Another major initiative has been the complete liberalization of pricing and payment of technology transfer fee, trademark, brand name and royalty payments. These payments can now be made under the automatic route.

36. Government also intends to make the FDI policy user-friendly by consolidating all prior regulations and guidelines into one comprehensive document. This would enhance clarity and predictability of our FDI policy to foreign investors.

Financial Stability and Development Council

37. The financial crisis of 2008-09 has fundamentally changed the structure of banking and financial markets the world over. With a view to strengthen and institutionalise the mechanism for maintaining financial stability, Government has decided to setup an apex-level Financial Stability and Development Council. Without prejudice to the autonomy of regulators, this Council would monitor macro prudential supervision of the economy, including the functioning of large financial conglomerates, and address inter-regulatory coordination issues. It will also focus on financial literacy and financial inclusion.

Banking Licences

38. The Indian banking system has emerged unscathed from the crisis. We need to ensure that the banking system grows in size and sophistication to meet the needs of a modern economy. Besides, there is a need to extend the geographic coverage of banks and improve access to banking services. In this context, I am happy to inform the Honourable Members that the RBI is considering giving some additional banking licenses to private sector players. Non Banking Financial Companies could also be considered, if they meet the RBI's eligibility criteria.

Public Sector Bank Capitalisation

39. During 2008-09, the Government infused Rs.1900 crore as Tier-I capital in four public sector banks to maintain a comfortable level of Capital to Risk Weighted Asset Ratio. An additional sum of Rs.1200 crore is being infused now. For the year 2010-11, I propose to provide a sum of Rs.16,500 crore to ensure that the Public Sector Banks are able to attain a minimum 8 per cent Tier-I capital by March 31, 2011. 

Recapitalisation of Regional Rural Banks

40. Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) play an important role in providing credit to rural economy. The capital of these banks is shared by the Central Government, sponsor banks and State Governments. The banks were last capitalised in
2006-07. I propose to provide further capital to strengthen the RRBs so that they have adequate capital base to support increased lending to the rural economy.

Corporate Governance

41. Improvement in corporate governance and regulation is an important part of the overall investment environment in the country. Government has introduced the Companies Bill, 2009 in the Parliament, which will replace the existing Companies Act, 1956. The proposed new bill will address issues related to regulation in corporate sector in the context of the changing business environment. 

Exports

42. Government has provided interest subvention of 2 per cent on pre-shipment export credit up to March 31, 2010 for exports in certain sectors. I propose to extend the interest subvention of 2 per cent for one more year for exports covering handicrafts, carpets, handlooms and small and medium enterprises.

Special Economic Zones (SEZs)

43. The SEZs have attracted significant flows of domestic and foreign investments. In first three quarters of 2009-10 exports from SEZs recorded a growth of 127 per cent over the corresponding period last year. Government is committed to ensuring continued growth of SEZs to draw investments and boost exports and employment.

Agriculture Growth

44. The agriculture sector occupies centre-stage in our resolve to promote inclusive growth, enhance rural incomes and sustain food security. To spur the growth in this sector, the Government intends to follow a four-pronged strategy covering (a) agricultural production; (b) reduction in wastage of produce;
(c) credit support to farmers; and (d) a thrust to the food processing sector. 

45. The first element of the strategy is to extend the green revolution to the eastern region of the country comprising Bihar, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Eastern UP, West Bengal and Orissa, with the active involvement of Gram Sabhas and the farming families. For the year 2010-11, I propose to provide Rs.400 crore for this initiative.

46. In the 60th year of the Republic, it is proposed to organise 60,000 "pulses and oil seed villages" in rain-fed areas during 2010-11 and provide an integrated intervention for water harvesting, watershed management and soil health, to enhance the productivity of the dry land farming areas. I propose to provide Rs.300 crore for this purpose. This initiative will be an integral part of the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana.

47. The gains already made in the green revolution areas have to be sustained through conservation farming, which involves concurrent attention to soil health, water conservation and preservation of biodiversity. I propose an allocation of Rs.200 crore for launching this climate resilient agriculture initiative.

48. The second element of the strategy relates to reduction of significant wastages in storage as well as in the operations of the existing food supply chains in the country. This needs to be addressed. As the Prime Minister has said recently, "We need greater competition and therefore need to take a firm view on opening up of the retail trade." It will help in bringing down the considerable difference between the farm gate prices, wholesale prices and retail prices. 

49. There is wastage of grain procured for buffer stocks and public distribution system due to acute shortage of storage capacity in the Food Corporation of India. This deficit in the storage capacity is met through an ongoing scheme for private sector participation where the FCI has been hiring godowns from private parties for a guaranteed period of 5 years. This period is now being extended to 7 years. 

50. The third element of the strategy relates to improving the availability of credit to farmers. I am happy to inform the honourable Members that banks have been consistently meeting the targets set for agriculture credit flow in the past few years. For the year 2010-11, the target has been raised to Rs.3,75,000 crore from Rs.3,25,000 crore in the current year.