Can tds deducted under winning prize money section get refunded

I won a cash prize of 3 lakhs from an national level technical event last year during my collage final year and tds was deducted at a rate of 30%. Can I get refund of the tds being deducted, if I fill ITR and my basic income falls below taxable slab. Also, if I add up the income and the cash prize received I would be falling below the tax slab.

So can I get the tds refunded?

Replies (5)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores whether TDS deducted on prize money winnings can be refunded. The consensus is that even if your total income, including the prize money, falls below the taxable threshold, you generally cannot claim a refund for TDS deducted under the winning prize money section. While filing an Income Tax Return (ITR) is mandatory and the TDS deducted provides credit, a refund is unlikely in this specific scenario.

Prize money recieved shall be taxable at 30 % + cess. So even if you file the return, you will not get refund even if your income is below basic exemption limit.
Thank you Sir for helping me out. Just a small question, can I get refund if have no income at all being a student?
Still you wont get the refund. The TDS deducted will help you to ger credit. Also,you are mandatorily required to file the IT return.
OK. Thank you for the information
Yes... I agreed to Mr Raj C Doshi's relies.

@ Mr Yash Dedhiya.,

We can't get refund if TDS deducted winning prizes...

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details