Audit or taxation?

Aditya Goel (Chartered Accountant) (31 Points)

12 August 2013  

Hi All, this is Aditya Goel, a CA Final student.

I am undergoing my Articleship training in Deloitte. I have completed about 4 months and 15 days.

I am starting to think whether I made the right decision in joining Statutory Audit team.

I want all of your opinions, from my seniors, Chartered Accountants on this matter.

The question I ask is 'Do I remain in Statutory Audit? Or should I change into Taxation? If I do change into Taxation, which field of Taxation do I choose? Corporate Taxation, International Taxation, Transfer Pricing or Indirect Taxation? Should I choose BMR Advisors, or should I choose Ernst & Young?'

A slight background to help you give me your kind opinions "My mother is a practicing Chartered Accountant. Her firm does not like most 'Mediocre' firms have too much Taxation work, instead has a lot of Audit work, which consists of a few Statutory audits, and a lot of Bank and Internal audits. I eventually after gaining expertise in whatever field I eventually choose wish to join her firm."

I hope you give me your kind opinion and I would be grateful if you took out some of your precious time and shared your knowledge and experience with one of your eager juniors.

I also hope many students about to take up Articleship refer to this question and the replies that ensue and gain a proper understanding of the field they wish to/ are going to join.

Regards. Aditya Goel.