AS 30 DISCUSSION 1st DAY CLASS

CMA KNVV Sri Vidya - Sri Kanth (C.A.Final (New) ICWAI FINAL (New))   (11269 Points)

05 May 2009  

Accounting Standard 30 deals with the Measurement and recognition of the

Financial Instruments .

This is an important subject in today's scenario where predominant markets have collapsed and many companies are down the drain

without the adequate provisioning .
So what does this AS talk about

It covers all the financial instruments in the balance sheet and also some non financial assets/liabilities like the Loans/Receivables and sets up guidelines for valuation and accounting.

The framework of AS has been predominantly copied from IAS 39 under IFRS and considering the convergence from 2011 to IFRS this is a very important standard

Now coming to the Background

It has been years since Shares/Derivatives etc have reached the common man and the impact of these instruments are still very high in the society at large infact until recession.

When the markets were in huge upturn many people joined the markets leaving out other money making games like Horse races etc Thus there was a growth and simultaneously new conceots getting introduced. The stakes became bigger imagine a person dealing on a Bundle which can include a thousand shares per bundle and the prices are speculated and agreed at a specific price and for delivery at a specific date so how are we accountants to estimate the losses it was really a great challenge and in the process we lost many control issues

the failures have resulted in the great recession now you will all know the sub prime crisis where the House Loans of the not so credit worthy people were divided into pieces by investment banks and were sold a with an attractive name as a hedging instrument  having a return  these were called the CDO's Collateralized Debt Obligations.

These were potential bomb shells but no one realised and had put the money now when the time came to collect the principal loan from Borrower all lifted their hands and banks landed into trouble. Entire Lehman brothers were wiped off .

An investment banker with a Merchant came to street so pretty dore consequences hence the focus is now bigger and stronger on this AS

nishant market was good , everybody was investing his money more money more return more growth ????

but nobody examined, the worth of the instrument, nobody knew ,that they were indirectly financing the Bank loan Housing loan

nishant u mean to say ... no body was recognsin the loss

Yes

thats where the FAIR VALUE concept is important and is discussed in AS

nishant bt that comes to our basis A/cting standard to recongnise loss

but there are no guideline so far

for Hedeg accounting

and other complex instruments

where the nature changes every day

nishant  but one should recognise loss as per AS 1

How will you know the Loss in case of a CDO .you will never know it is a chain of so many people after you ,who have to pay First the Borrower ,then the Prime lender then the Investment bank then some more agents then the final investor .

Now how do u expect an investor to calculate this risk thats the whole point and a great challenge for accountants

Now i will start with the Segments of the AS and applicability

This AS has been made applicable from 1.4.2011 and is applicable for select entities

initially as usual

you may read the exact contents in AS in any case we are under purview of IFRS

and we will be required to comply with this

Now the segments of AS

Whether u have read or not its a 241 page standard thats the biggest in ALL AS we have so far

It has following segments

Definitions

Fair Value Concept ,Valuation Criteria for Financial Assets and Financial Liabilities

Initial Recognition and subsequent recognition

Issues of classification and reclassififcation

Impairment

Hedge Accounting

Various illustrations and the accoutning criteria

Since it is a vast standard and has many practical aspects

we must understand the definitions clearly

and do some study on these difinitons

I will be giving you some sites

and you must read the concepts

Now coming to the Definitions

first and foremost of the Fair Value

Fair Value means the amount for which an asset could be exchanged or liability settled between knowledgeable parties and willing parties in an Arms length transaction

now the important points are

Consideration
     Knowledgable Parties
     Intention of Parties

and the Arms length transaction

The value should represent the above criterias  and should satisfy the Arms length basis

lets try for an example here

When a person sells product A at Rs 10 to a known buyer and then a person sells the same product to other buyer at 12 now here if we examine

the cosideration is there ,Willingness is there but the Knowledge and Arms length pricing is missing

In that case the Fair value has to be taken at Rs.12 considering the bias in first case but we have to assume that the second buyer has market knowledge

Thus we establish a fair value i have taken a very small example

however it is complex in the markets

Now moving on to derivatives

Derivative as you know is a Financial Instrument the value of which changes

or depends on an underlying factor

this can be interest Rate

Commodity price
     Exchange rate

Credit rating

etc and is settled at a specific future date .

Derivatives have ruled the markets since its inception as the stakes are higher and also there is an option for players in the market to take their chances

Now the best example of Derivative is a Forward Contract and options

as we all know a Forward Contract is entered into for the sale of currencies/ bullions/ commodities at a specified future date at an agreed price

Now the value of the forward contract is not known at the present date as the exchange rates not predictable and the underlying value depend on the fluctuations if the rate is higher then there is a loss for the exporter and vice versa

Options is an very interesting subject and is vast too as some of you may know Option is derivative with the flavour of delight on both parties that is the issuer and the purchaser.

An option is a contract to buy or sell a specific financial product officially known as the option's underlying instrument or underlying interest. For equity options, the underlying instrument is a stock, exchange-traded fund (ETF), or similar product. T

This is the official definition it means that there is a contract for buying or selling an underlying asset or the interest with the option.

The contract itself is very precise. It establishes a specific price, called the strike price, at which the contract may be exercised, or acted on. And it has an expiration date. When an option expires, it no longer has value and no longer exists.

Options come in two varieties, calls and puts, and you can buy or sell either type. You make those choices - whether to buy or sell and whether to choose a call or a put - based on what you want to achieve as an options investor.

Now the Option has three elements

strike price
      Expiration date
      and the variety

Strike price is the price at which contract is negotiated

Now i will take an example

Person A and person B enter into the options contract A agrees to buy shares of XYZ co at a price of Rs.240/- per share after one month let the date be 4th of June now here in the example

Strike price is Rs.240/-
      Expiration Date is 4th june
      and the parties are called
      Mr.A is a Holder of the option

and Mr.B is the Writer of the option

Now how to know whether it is a call or put option

This is a call option as this is a contract for buying and of the contract is for selling it is a Put option

In the same example if A agrees to sell the shares at Rs.240/- at the agreed date       then it becomes a put option

Now comes the question of premium

For the writer of the option an amount is paid as premium for taking this risk
      it is the income of the writer

now lets see the same example

suppose the premium is Rs.10  Now if the Share market goes up  and the price of the above share become Rs.265

Now A has an option to buy an Rs 240
      so he gains Rs.25/-
      that is 265 - 240
      and his cost will be\
      the premium
      of Rs.10
      so his net gain is Rs.15

Thsi position is called "in the money"

Now comes the question of premium
      For the writer of the option
      an amount is paid as premium
      for taking this risk
      it is the income of the writer
      now lets see the same example
      suppose the premium is Rs.10
      Now if the Share market goes up

and the price of the above share become Rs.265

Now A has an option to buy an Rs 240
      so he gains Rs.25/-
      that is 265 - 240
      and his cost will be\
      the premium
      of Rs.10
      so his net gain is Rs.15

Thsi position is called "in the money"

Now imagine if the share price remains the same

say 240
      now he will hav to buy at 240
      and still hav cost of Rs.10
      for premium
      thsi situation means
      |Out of the Money"
      And nobody
      will excercise
      the option
      when they are out of the money
      now this is the whole concept
      now read this

What a particular options contract is worth to a buyer or seller is measured by how likely it is to meet their expectations. In the language of options, that's determined by whether or not the option is, or is likely to be, in-the-money or out-of-the-money at expiration. A call option is in-the-money if the current market value of the underlying stock is above the exercise price of the option, and out-of-the-money if the stock is below the exercise price. A put option is in-the-money if the current market value of the underlying stock is below the exercise price and out-of-the-money if it is above it. If an option is not in-the-money at expiration, the option is assumed to be worthless.

now let me make it clear again
      when a person gets the option
      what is his aim
      his aim is to protect the future risk
      if i want to buy
      L&T share  at Rs.240 say and I expect that  the price will go up to 260 next month
      I can cover this by taking an option but for this i pay the premium to the writer
      say this is Rs.10

now suppose as per my expectation market goes to 260/-

he is the one who gives you options

then my net gain is Rs.20 minus Rs.10 so we are in the money

if there is a situation where the price is Rs.250 or less

on the expiration date then there is no use in excersing the options Hence i will not buy the shares in that case i am out of the money and i take advantage of the contract

www.investorguide,com

https://www.optionseducation.org/basics/whatis/default.jsp

www.businessdictionery.com

Now read the terms from here from here and also the AS to the extent possible

try www.investorwords.com also

aarey i hve a powerfull Tag prefixxed to my name na ., as C.A

in dat select Equity / debt
again select Settlement and Clearing
then select Derivatives

then select "Settlement Mechanism" to knw how the principles we learn in MAFA are practically implemented