Article ship - CA Students

harish (article assistant) (27 Points)

16 June 2010  

De-recognition of full articleship period

De-recognition of full articleship period

The articleship training is the backbone of Chartered Accountancy course as it gives an opportunity to the articled assistants to acquire on-the-job work experience of a professional nature, inculcate a disciplined attitude for hard work, develops necessary skills in applying theoretical knowledge to practical situation. In this regard, the Council of the Institute has been taking different initiatives from time to time to streamline and sustain the efforts of the Institute in providing effective articleship.

The appropriate Committee of the Institute on the basis of the relevant information / documents brought to its notice had decided to de-recognize the entire period of articleship allegedly served by three articled assistant varying from 1 year 08 months to 02 years 04 months.

This is for information of all concerned.

Deputy Director (MSS)

Response

I am very proud that our CA Course is having such good structure of haivng article ship of 3 or 3.5 years. But I Question the institute is this being regulated properly and in true sense ? I dont think so institute is regulating it in proper way except keeping restrictions like ban on transfer of artciles. I really feel bad to know this few people sitting in office day and night and having missed thier college life and working for the office gets a short term leave and they need to cover the entire sylllabus. But students who took dummy at starting itself can enjoy thier life however they want and refer all the study materials and gets good knowledge. Even people who took article ship are expected to work for 35 hours a week. Is this really happening. Ask the institute to go and enquire in each firm. Many firms are making them to labour for day and night. How a person being worked day night can concentrate on studies. How many firms really imparts training to its article students. Institute wont question members because they are only regulating the institute but it places all types of reuglations on students. Up to me rule is rule rule for all. Bring the equlity between all the students and firms. Then keep whatever restrictions u want. A student got registered in a firm asking to do all petty clerical works can not be move to another good firm and spoiling his life there.

Institute took a decession of and de-recongised his articleship period. Instead why didnt it educate students about this before taking dummy. Even today few famous coaching institutes encourage dummys to get students to thier coaching centres. Institute should strongly communicate how they are going to deal with dummys.

Restricting dummys is oneside but regulating the firms to make the article students work for limmited period , providing training etc should be another regulation it should ensure. Its not enough to have to peer review to cover this. Institue should form a seperate inspection wing for this which regularly takes care of this job. After all the students are going to become qualifieds in future. If they are tortured and made to belivie that rules are only for books what will be thier perception about institute and its rules in future. Think.