A conversation between a student and me

Mythreya (Finance IT & Accounting)   (2183 Points)

25 February 2010  

Below is a cut-paste-copy from my Community of an interesting conversation,which is applicable to many students.Thought I could share it.Do join my Community and take active participation in the discussions.You can find my articles and comments in one place in this community of mine.I answer queries according to my time-constraints though.I had some time today so could answer this student's query quickly.

Link to join: https://www.caclubindia.com/community/crack-ca-exams-in-minimum-no-of-attempts-mythreya-2192.asp

My best wishes,

Mythreya

By : Neeraj Haritwal

On : 25 February 2010
Delete Comments Modify Comments
Re:

Hi,

I really like the writing style of Mythreya....quite communicative and intellectual......n very inspiring too...

I have read quite a few of his articles...was in fact plannin to write abt his writin skills for quite sometime now....n felt tat gud work should be appreciated...n he writes pretty well.....More than wat was written...i liked d way it was written....since I like to write too....it's a genuine heart felt comment....keep up the  gud work Mythreya...

Well...even though all this is quite inspiring and sometimes...we even know that we need to do this and not do that...we still falter....

I wud b attemptin my CA Finals for d 2nd time in May 2010.....n I know I have to study but even wen I begin every fresh day wid a certain amount of vigour that today, I am gonna do this n also set quite achievable goals...I fail to achieve them...It's not that I have been a poor student or do not wanna do CA...it's just tat d interest weans very easily to study....n truly,I have tried every trick in d book to keep myself motivated but don feel motivated enough....N i agree to d fact if I had studied d way I shud,I wud hav passed in d very 1st attempt.....but then....

Also,while studyin too......my interest flickers like tat candle flame facin d wind.,....suddenly...I start readin my novels...or d newspaper...start listenin to music...or sms....or sleep....though I don sleep very many hrs....I still feel sleepy throughout my study hrs.

Now,I have just 2 mths to go....N somehow I feel I need to prepare everything afresh even though it's my 2nd attempt because as told before...I don't feel I did preapre well last time.N as I am doin my industrial training currently,the maximum I can expect as my study leave is 15 days plus another 15 days of exams.

I would appreciate if you can customise your inspiring words and advice to suit my needs......n perhaps a few of my other fellow mates' as well.......

By : Mythreya

Re:

Welcome-aboard! Shreevidhya,Yogisha and Neeraj.

Neeraj,

You need to simplify your life-following zen principles and then you will clear this course easily.

You need to do 3 things,just these 3 things for you to clear.Keep these 3 things alone as your rule of thumb(or thumbs??)

1st thing: Conquer boredom by flowing through it,persisting through it.No one has achieved anything great by not being able to conquer boredom or ennui in any field.Even Bill Gates used to sit for hours before his computer(Read the book Outlier by Malcolm Gladwell to really know what Im talking about) and then built his empire.Conquering boredom is very essential because any activity which you do including Bungee jumping or skydiving will ultimately start boring your mind if that be for such an excitign advneture sport like Bungee-jumping/skydiving(both of which have been tried by me and sure is exciting like hell for the first-timer) not to mention our dull and dreary subjects! So only people who have understood this little secret can steer forward their inner-rudder for success.This requires emotional intelligence and only the few who have this succeed.

2nd thing: Burn your bridges.Once you commit for something important and tough a course, burn your bridges.The bridges might be "spending time on newspapers,novels,etc",it might be too much time with ones girlfriend/boyfriend,it might be simply anything which distracts you from your goal.And you have to be ruthless here and this can be done only by way of positive crisis creation and nothing else.Pump yourself up internally and create an artificial pressure to succeed(Mind will slowly start thinking that the artificiality is for real...you can trick your mind)

3rd thing: Try to do what is called active-learning to create interest for the subject.Not mere passive reading from texts,which puts you to sleep and boredom and unless you are a really romanceless guy/gal who has nothing but books infront 24/7 you are not going to succeed.You seem to be intelligent,creative,etc.So you need active learning.

If you follow these 3 things, you will win.

Simply these 3 things...

By : Neeraj Haritwal

Re:

Hey,

That was quite a quick reply....I agree with you on the boredom and the burning of bridges bit...Perhaps procrastination has been the thing harmin me....d point is I realise all dis....I wanna mend my ways but at d end of office wen I reach home at 7.30pm...I feel I don't have the energies to push myself...n I know it's all in the mind n I can easily push myself...but.......

I am ready to do what you have just suggested n feel this shud b of some help.

Wat do u think.....is 2 mths gud enuf time for 8 papers wen u r stranded on d startin pt.?...all I am lookin for is solace and confidence wen U r gonna say...."Yes,it's ample time" :)

One more foolery tat I commit on a subject/chapter basis is my wish to read frm the beginning.....from the introduction...as much as I try....I can't get over it.....I feel everythin is important.....if I leave somethin....it might come up as an exam question.....I have always read as much as possible though don't try to mug up things.....just simply understandin them but dese days...perhaps coz of that boredom bit...I remain stranded on just 1 page for quite sometime without makin much headway through the no. of hrs I study...or shud I say....d no. of hrs. I hold my book in d act of studyin....

I also have dis failure to remember exact words,sections,section nos. which I have dealt with throughout my academic life....though I have still got gud marks...except for my PEE II which took a no. of attempts to clear......

I wanna do well and succeed in dis very attempt  so any more tips and tricks wud be genuinely appreciated......

By : Mythreya

Re:

To tell you the truth.Even 1 month is enough for an intelligent student to clear this exam in the first attempt CA final.

Procrastination is a by-product of low-energy/motivation which inturn is a by-product of boredom.

Dont intellectualize things and over-think,JUST DO IT(as Nike ad goes) and things will start rolling out slowly from your mental factory.

Dont depend on tricks and tips too much.There is only a point to which I or anyone can guide,after that you are rowing your boat alone in the sea.I can provide you with a good boat and oars(tips) and teach you how to fare the winds(tricks) and then give you a push into the sea,rest you need to do!

You have to row the boat and fare the tempestous winds.

Yeah, you can easily! You have the power in you.Everyone has the power sitting in them,just they dotn realize it.

Mythreya