Easy Office
LCI Learning

5 Tenets for sure-shot success in Direct Taxes CA Final paper

Page no : 2

Mythreya (Finance IT & Accounting)   (2183 Points)
Replied 27 January 2010

Originally posted by : Rajay
Dear Mythreya
Vanakkam
Thanks for your tips for Direct tax.  I stay outside India.  Im planning to write exam in May 2010.  I have only institue study material.  By looking your suggestions, It appears to be not enough. kindly help me to get useful study notes from internet
Thanks & Regards

Vanakkam Raja!

If you are staying in Gulf or anywhere else,you can easily order one of the reference books which I mentioned online and get the book.Dont depend on online notes.Have a good book for your studies.Dont depend too much in Study Module for this subject.

Sushil (CA Final Student) (2571 Points)
Replied 27 January 2010

Thnx a lot..........very useful posting for one of the very difficult subject.

Shivangi Nayak (Preparing for CA Final May 10 (Grp 2 pending))   (29 Points)
Replied 30 January 2010

Hi Mythreya, I have attempted grp 2 thrice and studied from TN Manoharan. Now I want to switch over to either Girish Ahuja ( book not notes) or else VK Gupta modules. I have glanced through both but cant decide as to which to stick to ultimately. Time is not the consraint as I have only 1 grppending. Please advise on the book to start studyin as soon as possible. Thanks

Replied 30 January 2010

Originally posted by : Shivangi Nayak
Hi Mythreya,

I have attempted grp 2 thrice and studied from TN Manoharan. Now I want to switch over to either Girish Ahuja ( book not notes) or else VK Gupta modules. I have glanced through both but cant decide as to which to stick to ultimately. Time is not the consraint as I have only 1 grppending.
Please advise on the book to start studyin as soon as possible.

Thanks

My frank advice is: Do not switch-over("Do not change horses mid-stream").The defect is not with the book but with your approach.

Change your approach and then everything would be fine.I know students who cleared last attempt with just TN Manoharan and Bare Act.

However, if your "Man-chahtha-hai" to read another book.Then buy Vinod Gupta Modules,especially since you have time.

If you have enough time,then VK Singhania is my recommendation.

However,if for any reason you do not like VKS then you may choose Vinod Gupta Notes.

------------------------------------

If I were you, I would buy the latest TN Manoharan for the attempt again.

And also VK Singhania.

Since TN Manoharan was already tried twice,it is familiar.So keeping this as the base,I would start delving deep into VK Singhania to have best of both worlds---> Exam-orientedness(TNM) and Indepth-knowledge(VKS).

For final level,I would only recommend VK Singhania,Bare Act and Latest Relevant Compiler for Direct Taxes!Only then you can be really confident in the exam.

But if time is against you,then you need to look for surrogate-books and choose the best amongst them.

Best of Luck,Im sure you would clear the exam this time!

Mythreya

Shivangi Nayak (Preparing for CA Final May 10 (Grp 2 pending))   (29 Points)
Replied 30 January 2010

I agree that Mnaoharan has been read thrice so it would be easier to stick to. But my DT paper is never tough or sumthing. I am able to answer then what really doesnt take me above 45 i dont get it. And I also read you recommending Girish Ahuja book in your blog then should I refer to that along with Manoharan.

Replied 30 January 2010

Originally posted by : Shivangi Nayak
I agree that Mnaoharan has been read thrice so it would be easier to stick to. But my DT paper is never tough or sumthing. I am able to answer then what really doesnt take me above 45 i dont get it.
And I also read you recommending Girish Ahuja book in your blog then should I refer to that along with Manoharan.

If Direct Taxes is not tough,then you should have got a good mark.

If you are not getting above 45,then it means the answers need more clarity,more preciseness,etc.See my example on the Roasted Almonds Case(in Articles section) how you should write in exam.Though it is for Indirect Taxes.A similar approach would have to be adopted by you.

You must aim to cover all relevant points which the question asks for in a systematic fashion and show to the examiner that you really know and not assume things.

You should not be just "able" to answer but must be able to "present well" in the exams.Any run-of-the-mill student would be "able to answer" but one who is cut-above will present it professionally.

Think that you are presenting a legal brief and be as professional as you can with good knowledge of section numbers and case laws.All this will make you score higher.

While calculating and number crunching check manytimes whether concepts have been stated clearly and assumptions mentioned.

Mere changing books would not add any value.If you have time you can definitely refer over and above TN Manoharan by using VK Singhania or Girish Ahuja main book.

Already in your mind I see a tilt of wanting to follow Girish Ahuja Main book.If you are really confident then go for it but make sure you are thorough in it.

You forgot one tenet I put there: Karka kasadara kattrapin nirka adharku thaga!

Mythreya

DEV G (GENERAL MANAGER) (207 Points)
Replied 01 February 2010

txs for very good advices.

CA SURENDRA KUMAR RAKHECHA (Practising CA at Surat) (26258 Points)
Replied 02 February 2010

Dear Mythreya

Your PRESENTATION is marvellous !

Replied 02 February 2010

Thankyou Rakhecha Sir.

ShreeVidya (student) (141 Points)
Replied 15 February 2010

it requires a great deal of investigation, knowledge, self confidence to write such great articles. Hat off to you. Thank you.

(Guest)

nice one.........

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: