4 ways to avoid unnecessarily draining your laptop

Rahul Sharma (----------) (8192 Points)

06 December 2011  

Among the many features of a laptop computer, its battery is one of the most appreciated features it has. While this is so, the battery a laptop computer has may also be one of its most dreaded challenges. Your computer’s battery can last for as long as many quality hours and it can also run down faster than it should, all depending on how you handle it. While there may be no special way to make your laptop computer’s battery last longer, there are things you can do to stop it from draining off easily.

Are you concerned about your laptop’s battery running off quickly? Does your laptop computer go off sooner than it should? Do you want to know some ways you can keep your laptop’s battery from draining easily? If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the questions above, then consider the tips below useful and implement it to see how your battery’s performance will improve.

1: Make sure Your Laptop powers off before closing the Lid

Some of us are used to closing our laptop’s lid without even allowing it to power down completely. When you close your laptop computer’s lid without allowing it to shut down fully, it’s either going to go on “sleep mode” or “stand-by mode”, unless you have instructed it to hibernate whenever the lid is closed.

Generally, when a computer is on “sleep mode,” it’s still running and the battery will keep running out until it finally runs down.

2: Don’t run Unused Programs

When I started out with my blog where I feature weight watchers discounts and ediets coupons, I knew I would be installing many programs on my laptop. I used to keep a huge number of my applications running on my laptop, even when there was no need for me to do so. I eventually noticed that running these programs contributed to draining my laptop’s battery.

When you have no need for running a program on your laptop and you’re the type that does most of their works off-home where there is no source of power left for your battery, it would be wise not to run them.

In the case of where some programs run on start-up together with your laptop computer you can configure your settings by typing “msconfig” in the “run” box and following the instructions to stop any program you choose from running on start-up.

3: Always dim Your Monitor Light while running on Battery

Using a very bright monitor screen when running on battery can make your battery power consumption rate to increase. You should dim your monitor’s backlight to make it reduce its power consumption rate. You can do that by right clicking on your desktop and select “power options” or go to the “power settings” in your system tray icon and reduce the brightness of your monitor

4: Use Power-Saver mode when running on Battery

One good way to save your battery from running down fast and easily is choosing a power saving option for your laptop computer when running on battery. You can configure your laptop to work with the recommended options which consumes your battery but provides full user experience like screen brightness and so on while running on electricity and use “power saver” option when on battery.

To do this, simply click on the battery icon on your system tray or task bar and choose “more power options”. This will open a window where you can change your preference settings.