" How Do U Define a CA and A Certified Accountan "

(Guest)

It is very common for people, even accountants, who haven’t been in the industry long enough, to ask what the difference is between a certified and a chartered accountant. In addition, the question that follows is that is it really useful to hire a certified or a chartered accountant for business, or is it just a waste of money? Well, the answer to the latter, in a nutshell, would be Scott Butterfield’s all fitting answer: it depends. I’ll discuss it in detail later in this article; but first, let’s get to the certified versus chartered.

Really, the difference between certified and chartered is what the dictionary says. However, the difference between certified and chartered accountants, is, well, irrelevant. If you didn’t already know, here’s another interesting one for you: there’s also a group out there called the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). So, one accountant here is both chartered and certified.

I often hear Chartered Accountants picking on all other certified accounts, including FCAs, ACCAs, IMAs and CMAs etc., but there’s really no reason to be doing that. East of the United States, with an exception to Australia, the equivalent of a Chartered Accountant is a Certified Public Accountant. Therefore, the term Certified Public Accountant in the US is equivalent to the term Chartered Accountant in the UK and other countries that follow the UK convention. So, what is a CPA or a CA? Well, basically, if you’re either of these, you can conduct audits, and primarily audits for public, .i.e., stock exchange listed, companies. In a nutshell, that is the difference. Passing the CPA or CA exam is no evidence of an accountant’s technical ability or understanding of management accounting, tax accounting, or financial accounting. For what it is worth, I have met non-certified, non chartered accountants with more accounting acumen than CPAs and CAs alike.